A refreshing plant-based soup with a unique taste and many health benefits. Sweet potato is one of the most popular super foods. They are rich in vitamins, minerals, fibres and low in calories. Also sweet potato has high levels of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients, making it a great choice of food.
Chilli is a great detoxifier and helps the digestion system to work better. Sumac is another super food and one of the top antioxidants. The properties are too long to list so here are some of the top ones, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and helps slow the ageing process.
Eating nutrient rich foods helps our body become stronger and healthier. Other health benefits of sumac include: diuretic properties and the support of women’s health. The diuretic properties help the body to get rid of the toxins, it is used to cure painful urination, balancing the metabolism and stomach upsets. Sumac tea or sumac bark is great for women who are breastfeeding. Increasing milk levels and with its estrogen like behaviour helps in treating menstrual disorder and menstrual cramps.
Pomegranate molasses has a sweet slightly sharp taste, making it very suitable for the sweet potatoes and the fresh sharp taste of lemons and sumac. The pomegranate molasses has many benefits, it has high levels of antioxidants and contains a lot of other nutritional benefits. The list of health goodies is too long… No matter why you choose to make this soup I can tell you already that the taste is divine, fresh and honestly unique.
Sweet potato sumac soup with lemon, almonds and pistachios
Sweet potato soup packed with nutrients and super foods
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1-2 TBSP of coconut oil (extra virgin)
- 3-4 medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- pinch of chilli
- 2 tsp of sumac
- 1 cube of organic vegetable stock
- about 2 bowls of water
- 2 TBSP of pomegranate molasses
For the garnish
- a handful of raw almonds (pre-soaked overnight)
- a handful of raw pistachios roughly chopped
- 1 lemon
- pomegranate molasses (optional)
- On a low to medium heat sweat the onion with the oil for about 5 minutes
- Add the garlic with the chilli and sumac, for a further 5 minutes
- In the meantime time roughly dice the tomatoes and sweet potatoes
- Add them into the saucepan and cover with boiled water. Leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes until soft
- Blend the soup and generously garnish with lemon juice, almonds, pistachios and a pinch of chilli. And anything else you might like!
If you liked this sweet potato soup give us a like, share it with your friends. Follow us on social media for more great recipes.