Everybody loves a crunchy yummy snack, especially the kids. These homemade pretzels are suitable for everyone in the family, however I know for sure the kids just love them.
Yes, I know its much easier to buy a pack from your local supermarket and save yourself the time but the ones from the supermarket are packed with artificial’s, trans-fats and stabilizers. The producers want a long shelf life on the products so this is the result added stabilizers which we all know is not the best for our bodies, especially our little ones.
Trans-fats are known to be bad for our health. The explanation for why they are so bad is too long and I could easily write a whole post on the subject. Basically this is a type of artificial fat used by producers for lower costs and longer shelf life.
Consuming a lot of trans-fats (processed food, biscuits, cakes, snacks from the supermarket) can cause serious health problems after time like, high cholesterol, heart disease , diabetes and other health issues. For yourself and your family, those reasons alone are more than enough to justify making some of your own home snacks.
A few words on rye flour and why I chose it for this recipe. Rye flour is extremely rich in fibre, so you will feel fuller with just a few pretzels, its great snacking for in between meals as the calories are low and you wont feel hungry. It’s a great choice of snack for weight loss programs. Fibres in rye flour makes it an excellent choice for other benefits as well. Rye is perfect for digestion balancing and has the best metabolism properties in comparison with other grains. It contains numerous amounts of vitamins and minerals. The list of benefits is too long. Trust when I say this rye flour is a great reason to chose these yummy homemade pretzels for your family.
Rye homemade pretzels - great kids snack
Snappy, yummy pretzels with no trans-fats and no artificial's
- 1/3 cup of warm water
- 4-5 TBSP of extra virgin oil ( I use avocado)
- 1 cup of rye flour (a little extra for dusting if required)
- generous pinch of salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Maldon sea salt for topping
- In a bowl pour the warm water, add the salt coconut sugar and oil. Mix well
- bit by bit add the flour and stir all the time. You are trying to end up with a soft non-sticky dough
- Use a rolling pin and make a slab from your dough around ½ cm thick. With a sharp knife cut off ½ cm strips to form the pretzels
- Roll each strip by hand just to round them off and make your pretzels
- Line a baking try with baking paper and lightly brush with some oil.
- Transfer the pre- made pretzels on to the tray
- Heat the oven to 160°C
- When all the pretzels are ready, lightly brush them with a little oil and generously sprinkle them with the Maldon sea salt
- Bake for 10 minutes
If you enjoyed these rye homemade pretzels give us a like, share them with your friends. Follow us on social media for more great recipes.